PayPal Report on Esports in Europe 2020: High Engagement and Even Higher Potential
The past decade has seen the popularity of Esports skyrocket throughout Europe and the rest of the world. Audience numbers are rapidly rising for Esports Enthusiasts and Occasional Viewers alike, and just like in the wider games market, this engagement is translating into increased revenues.
The report, based on research conducted by PayPal and Newzoo, explores the Esports ecosystem in Europe. The research was conducted in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Norway, Finland, and Sweden, examining topics ranging from viewing behaviour to spending.
As Esports continues to innovate ways to engage audiences (and monetize them with services and products they love), the already invaluable opportunity is only growing more valuable. While Esports has faced some challenges due to the pandemic, both the demand and supply of Esports content is bigger than ever before.
Many brands can increase their marketing muscle, direct revenues, and more by paying attention to and leveraging this exciting market and its engaged, ever growing audience.
- The European Esports audience will grow to 92 million by the end of 2020, up from 86 million the previous year
- Esports Enthusiasts will account for 33 million of Europe’s audience, with Occasional Viewers making up the remaining 59 million
- In terms of revenues, the global Esports market will generate $973.9 million in 2020, growing to $1.6 billion by 2023
- 59% of respondents who said they spent more time watching esports during lockdown expressed they will continue to watch even after the measures are lifted, with respondents in Spain and the UK showing the highest share of those who said they will continue to watch more after lockdown
- Men are likelier to be Esports Enthusiasts (38%) compared to women (27%). However, despite being slightly less engaged in Esports, the female Esports audience is just as, if not more likely, to have spent money on Esports products in the last 12 months
- Across all markets, 58% of Esports Enthusiasts spent money on Esports related products, compared to just 37% of Occasional Viewers
Click Here to Download Report on Esports in Europe 2020
Click to download European Esports: Digital Goods and Payment Consumer Behaviour